Monday, January 6, 2014

Lesson Learned

"Making it" is easier said than done but you know what, why should it be easy?  Over the weekend I had the privilege to get some kind of experience styling photos for a friend but in a battle between my fantasy and reality, my fantasy was body-slammed as though it was a WWF championship.

GET YOUR VISION TOGETHER
 This is a no brainier but I'll still say it, know exactly what you are supposed to be shooting.  When you sit with a photographer, designer or whomever you're collaborating with make sure you both mean the same thing.  If a photographer says he wants the looks to be uncommon, I hear dramatic and unconventional proportions and colors.  Meanwhile the photographer could be scared by your ideas or just not like them.  Iron out those details because it could waste a lot of time.  Make sure you know
Arrange the clothes accordingly.  Piece each look from head to toe even though it's time consuming you don't want to walk into the shoot looking like an amateur.  Time is money and in photography it's also daylight.  It's a lot easier to see a polished vision than a sloppy idea.


PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS
Unless you are Grace Coddington or Emmanuelle Alt your word is not law.  Without a full on reputation and credibility you will have to be flexible.  Unless you are the boss paying people to work on your time and your rules, you will have to be flexible.  I went into the experience thinking it was my style ideas they were shooting and it wasn't.  So many opinions went into one outfit while some were welcome others maybe were not welcome because I usually like things my way.  Having to get opinions took me off guard and I won't lie, I took them personally and actually became aggravated as the day went on.  I felt as though my ideas weren't good enough.  That is not the case.  Simply put, I'm still learning and fashion is one big group project and even if you are the boss hearing the cold hard truth will happen just go with it.  Listen to the opinions, advice, suggestions... use them accordingly and respectfully.

HOPE YOU BROUGHT AN UMBRELLA
Get ready for the unexpected.  Plans change, people cancel, locations get moved things happen.  Deal with it and move on.  Remember everyone is dealing with the same problems you are and if you throw yourself a little pity party, only you will be in attendance not to mention nobody wants to work with that.  Find the glimmer of hope and change up your plans and roll with the punches.

These are two pictures I posted on my instagram on the looks I got to do, I'm still learning.  Tell me if you're experiences in an unexpected moment.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment